If your dog is always scratching, biting and licking their fur, your dog may be suffering from fleas! Nip the problem in the bud and try Veterinary Formula Flea and Tick Shampoo.
If you have a dog, not only do you need a flea shampoo that kills fleas, but it needs to be gentle enough that it doesn’t harm your pet.
Untreated, pets can develop illnesses and anemia from blood loss as the fleas feast on your pet. Some dogs are allergic to fleas which can cause an allergic reaction requiring a trip to the vet due to hot spots and hair loss.
Let’s check out Veterinary Formula Flea and Tick and see if it’s right for you!
Veterinary Formula Flea and Tick Key Features
Flea Shampoo for Dogs FAQs
Quick Flea Facts
Fleas infest our homes at an alarming rate.
- Adult female fleas lay close to 50 eggs per day and outnumber males
- Fleas are hard to escape: they are attracted to air movement, our breath and warmth
- They can live for months without a meal
- Fleas are also the best jumpers in the insect kingdom and can easily hitch a ride on your dog
- Fleas are found in most climates and are very active from spring to fall. Some areas with mild weather (and winters), have to battle fleas year round
How do you check a dog for fleas and ticks?
To search for evidence of fleas, check over your pets and see if you can spot any fleas or black dots on your pets skin. This is called “flea dirt”. But really, it’s flea poop (ew) made up of your pets blood. If you rub the flea dirt on a piece of white paper towel it will streak red.
Also check the moist areas of your pets body, such as by the tail, eyes, head and ears to see if there is flea dirt or fleas. You could also run a flea comb over the moist areas of your pets body and see if you pull up any flea dirt or live fleas.
If you do, the first line of attack is to bathe your dog in an effective flea killing shampoo such as Veterinary Formula Flea and Tick Shampoo.
How do you prevent fleas on your dog?
Once you have confirmed that your pet has fleas, you would need to start to treat your pet and its environment such as carpets, bedding, furniture etc for fleas. Pet owners ask how do I prevent fleas on my dog?
Users love how well the formula works to kill fleas and ticks as well as leaving their dogs coat soft and shiny.
How to use Veterinary Formula Flea and Tick Shampoo
To get the most out of this flea shampoo, you must follow the directions on the bottle.
- Get your dog thoroughly wet with warm water for 2-3 minutes
- Starting with the head and then moving on to the paws and the rest of your dogs body, lather the shampoo onto your dog
- Massage the product into your dogs coat and skin for 5 – 10 minutes. This maximizes the flea killing power of the ingredients
- Rinse thoroughly
- Comb your dog with a flea comb to get rid of any dead fleas or stragglers
- Apply a topical flea treatment or put on a flea collar to prevent further fleas from jumping onto your dog
Avoid your dogs ears and eyes with this product as it could irritate your pooch. Do not reapply this shampoo for 7 days. Always wear gloves when using flea control products.
Please note that each flea shampoo manufacturer has different instructions so please read the bottle and follow the instructions to get the best results.
While this product works great at killing fleas currently on your dog, if you want a permanent solution, you will have to use an extra method of flea prevention such as a topical treatment, furniture spray and a yard spray to really get control and eliminate the fleas.
How Often can you Bathe Your Dog in Flea Shampoo?
Most manufacturers recommend bathing your dog in flea shampoo every 7-14 days. You do not want to bathe your pet everyday, this will dry out their skin and fur and your dog may end up having skin AND flea problems.
Make sure to wait 24 hours after applying a topical flea treatment before you dip your dog in a flea bath.
So, now that you know about the pros and cons of using Veterinary Formula Flea and Tick Shampoo, you can use it on your dogs to kill and prevent future flea infestations in your home.
Please do a spot check on your dogs skin to ensure they are not allergic to the shampoo ingredients. If your dog suffers from any type of irritation, stop using it, and consult a vet.
Do you have a trick or tip about how you got rid of fleas in your house? We’d love to hear it! Leave it in the comments below. Don’t forget to share our post with a friend that needs a solution to their flea problems.
Veterinary Formula flea & tick shampoo not for you? Check out our post on the best flea killing shampoos available.